Friday, January 27, 2012

Do you honestly care about the meaning of names when picking favorites/naming your child?

I don't usually let it affect my choice, although I do look it up out of curiousity usually.Do you honestly care about the meaning of names when picking favorites/naming your child?
Generally no.



I usually wouldn't use a name that would go against their physical features, like if I were black and I named my baby something that meant "pale-skinned" I just think that that would make it kind of awkward for that child. Also, if my child were almost positively going to have dark hair then I wouldn't name him/her something that meant "fair-haired." For example: Gwendolyn and Rowena both mean "fair-haired" and Kenzie means "Light-skinned" Melania means "dark-skinned"



Also, do you notice how a lot of Hebrew names mean like "God has cursed me"? Sometimes when I read the Bible women name their children something like "hell-raiser" haha because they had to go through hell during labor. I just find that really strange.



Also if the name meant something like you mentioned, demon possessed or on a girl son of... i would definitely not use it.
I don't choose a name because I want a specific meaning, but I would look up my favourites and if it had a horrible meaning like "heart of darkness" or something for example it would probably affect my choice! :)Do you honestly care about the meaning of names when picking favorites/naming your child?
Definitely, thats my favorite part about names. Plus its like a little love note to your kid you know? My name means pearl of the sea and I love that. Then again I hate people that are like oh this name means flower of God or whatever and its something horrible like....Sexon or something hahaDo you honestly care about the meaning of names when picking favorites/naming your child?
Not at all. The meaning of the name doesn't define a child. I chose names because they catch my interest.
i like to know the meaning on the name just so i don't name my children something that seems like a cute name but means something totally evil.
Yeah actually I do. I wouldn't want to name my child something that meant something bad like "unlucky" or "sad." If I absolutely loved the name, I might be able to overlook it, but otherwise, I just couldn't do it.
I absolutely care.

I wouldn't choose a name by the definition, but I would stay away from a name because of the definition.



Does that make sense?



I mean, I don't go looking for a certain definition then settle on a name based on that. But, if I were considering a name then found that is has an undesirable definition, I would move on to a different name that I like.
Yes, I am part of a multi cultural family and I would look up the name in several different languages. I wouldn't want the name to mean evil, ugly, unfaithful, unlucky, etc in one of my in-laws language!
I don't let it determine my choice, I just think it's interesting :)
I am exactly the same way. My favourites Hunter means hunter and Cameryn means crooked nose lol But my name is lindsey and that means something about trees and lakes and my husbands is scott which means from scotland (which he is lol) so i don't worry about meanings, but it would be a bonus if my favorites had cute meanings.
Yes!



I tend to love a lot of Biblical and Christian names too, which really sucks because I'm Atheist and I don't like the meanings of them. I guess it also depends on how much I love the name, eg. I adore the name Camilla, it's one of my top favourites, but I don't like the meaning 'altar server'
I do care about the meaning of the name I choose for my child. Would I totally discount a name for its meaning-no. But I like names that have a positive, strong meaning to them.
I don't give the meanings a second thought. I might look up the meaning out of curiosity and thats about it
I do look it up and it is somewhat important to me, but it is not the deciding factor.



This is somewhat of a breakdown of what is important:

25% Ranking of name, I have a very common last name, so I do not want a very common first name, the rankings of the middle name do not really matter to me.



20% Meaning of name



25% Special meaning to us, family name, bibilical name, where we found this name.



30% How we like it overall.



This isn't an exact science, but this is sort of how I break it up.
Hell no! I only like the way it sounds like my son's name Kamdor Ninjor and Erde Kaiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment