Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Does the meaning of a name matter to you?

I'm just curious, because I've never cared at all what a name means, but I know a lot of people who think it's really important.





Do you think the meaning of a name is important?


Would you not use a name you love because of the meaning?


Would you use a name that wasn't your favorite because you like the meaning?


When you named your kids [if you have them], did you think about the meaning of their names?|||its neat to know,especially if it is uncommon or if a person is trying to name a person something that reflects their heritage.|||yes i do.....|||No the meaning is not important to me, I would still use the name I love even if the meaning was bad. No the meaning means nothing to me. If I didn't like the name I wouldn't use it.|||Of course it's wonderful when the meaning is fitting! But if it's keeping your from using a name you like, brush it off. If you didn't like the name, then the meaning doesn't matter. My name (I'm only 13, no kids for me!) means Dark beauty, although, what I see in the mirror is not dark, or as beautiful as it could be. My sister's name is Elise, which means God's Vow, yet my dad (who chose the name) is an atheist.





Hope I helped, and don't stress over it. It doesn't make things any better, now does it?|||I don't care about the name's meaning at all, unless it is a really awful meaning. For example, I love the name Mallory but it means "a bad omen". No matter how much I love the name I cant name my daughter a bad omen. So for the most part, I could care less.|||not all together, like if a name i like has a good meaning im like "o awesome! thats really neat!" but if it has a bad meaning like Cameron (crooked-nosed) or Kennedy (ugly head) than i wont use it.|||Not even slightly


Nobody else knows what it means and it means you might pick a name that aesthetically isnt as nice as another.


Couldnt care less. Actually I dont even know what the name we have picked means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!|||I think it's important to at least have an inkling of what you're naming your baby. I once read a novel describing an unfortunate couple that decided to put a "trendy" twist on the name "Lorraine," and created the name "Murrain."





Cute name, huh? Except that "murrain" meant "pestilence" for centuries, and literally translates as "Death."|||The meaning of a name is important for a few reasons. Whenever I think of names I think of ones that would suit a child as well as an adult. You know something that sounds cute for a child but can be professional in their adult life. That is a very important aspect. I'm Greek so the meaning of names is a common question. In my family names are picked because of how they sound and also what they mean. Would you really want to name you child something with a stupid horrible or degrading meaning? A lot of names have meanings that are from 'old times' So in answering your other question if I loved a name with a horrible meaning no I would find another. But would I name my child a crappy name just because you like the meaning? No Because chances are you can find another name with the same or a similar meaning. My children all have strong names that sound both cute as a child but mature with adulthood.They all have great meanings and I love that about them! (not they aren't named stupid names like Apple or Kingston)|||Yes I feel the meaning of a name is important. I didn't give it a lot of thought when I was younger, but as I get older I notice meanings, traditions, etc a lot more. If I really really loved the name, I guess I could be persuaded to use it. But in the back of my mind, I believe I would be wondering what other people thought of it and if they knew the true meaning. I think I might use a name that wasn't my favorite because of the meaning. However I would have to at least LIKE the name. I did NOT think about the meanings of my children's names that much when I had them, however I think if I named a child today, I would think about it seriously. For instance, a few nice names have been ruined (for me personally) b/c of their meanings, such as Caleb meaning dog and Cameron meaning crooked nose. My son has a niece and nephew with these names and now I wonder if their mother knew the meanings before she picked the names, since she was in another country. Another one that I loved that got ruined for me was Hayden when I read it meant "heathen". My kids names aren't terrible meaning-wise but not the greatest either. They mean (1) bitter (2) healer (3) huntsman, so I guess they could have been a lot worse b/c like I said, I didn't give it much thought early on. :)|||Not especially. I mean, sometimes with obvious names like Courage, Hope, Faith, Soft, Wind, Rain, and Destiny make me compare the person to her/his name with the quality/object and sometimes they don't match. Usually, however, I look right past it.





Now if the meaning was negative, it may bug the person and everyone who knows the negative meaning.





Usually, if I like the sound, i like the name. Thats mostly how it goes.|||Q: Do you think the meaning of a name is important?


A: No, because no one would probably even know it!





Q: Would you not use a name you love because of the meaning?


A: No I mean it wouldn't matter, I don't think the meaning means anything!





Q: Would you use a name that wasn't your favorite because you like the meaning?


A: I don't really care about the meanings..





Q: When you named your kids [if you have them], did you think about the meaning of their names?


A: I don't have kids but I wouldn't think about it because I don't care...








Good Luck|||I think the meaning of a name is just a plus. You should never use a name you don't love just because you love the meaning. I really don't care what it means as long as it's a name I love.|||If I was down to two names, then I'd go with the name with the better meaning.


I will use whatever name I like, no matter what the meaning.


When I name my kids I will consider the meaning.





(:

No comments:

Post a Comment