Friday, February 10, 2012

Does the meaning of a name change your opinion of it?

For instance, one of my favourite boy names means 'Brave Advice' and 'God Has Given', which is fine.


However, one of the girl names means 'Torture' and 'Stone of the Flank' which isn't so good.





Would you be upset if you found out you had been named something like Cameron, which means 'Crooked Nose' or is it irrelevant?|||I used to think Delores sounded okay, as I like names that are a bit old-fashioned. But when I looked up the meaning, it was "Sorrow". So I wouldn't ever even consider using that name now.





~ {A} ~|||Nope it doesn't change my opinion of it, as meanings are irrelevant to me, they are interesting to know but i don't really care if the name has a weird meaning though, and plus a lot of my favorite names, especially the boy ones have something to do with God and i'm atheist so yeah lol.





To me the sound and look of a name are much more important than the meaning as most people don't even know the meanigs of names.|||Im having my first any minute (week and a half over due!) and we had a lot of trouble agreeing on names. Think we have one for if it's a boy and one for if its a girl now, but the meaning did effect our choices, some of the names we liked had religious meanings that really turned us off, and the boys name we have settled on has a really cool meaning that I think influenced us. One off the names I liked meant 'vain', it upset me because I really liked it! Yeah I found out about the Cameron crooked nose as well, and the name i like more Campbell is crooked mouth, how disappointing! I don't think it matters though if you really fall in love with a name, how often will it's meaning come up in your child's life?|||Well, it depends. My name is Maria, which means sea of bitterness sorrow. And my brother, Matt, is gift of god. My parents told me that no matter what the name means, you can be who you want to be, and it doesn't matter on the meaning. Don't pay attention to it. Love yourself for who you are, not for what your name means.|||Yes and No... I like the name Cameron a lot and to find out that means crooked Nose and shrimp in spanish is so funny and now I would not name my son cameron because I will think of that. I found out my name means Dear child... sweet but eh so I guess I am going with Yes it makes a difference.|||It should be irrelevant. If you love the name, it shouldn't matter what the "meaning" of it is. Everyone calls you by your name, but no one ever defines you/ calls you by what it means.|||well my sons name is Bryar which means a thorny bush, so dont look to much into meanings, if you love the name you love it and i LOVE name Bryar. :)|||I think that's a silly meaning for a name, honestly. I like some names, but not the meaning aka Claudia according to a source means "lame."|||There's a different meaning in every origin: Light, Noble, Beautiful, Rock? I guess it doesn't really change my opinion.|||No, I wouldn't because no one really cares about the meaning, they care about the name itself

No comments:

Post a Comment